Friday, February 1, 2008

An up and down week

I haven't blogged for a week - and what a week it has been. Very up and down, but with a pattern - up on the family and personal side, and down on the work side.

On the up side - some great things have happened, the most notable of which being that Flipper turned 1 on January 24. This was a big day for us as a family, a real milestone. Hubby and I both took the day off work and the four of us just hung out, mooched around the house, played in the garden, went out for noodles for dinner, and just enjoyed being together. And as Hubby and I sat on the deck and clinked our champagne glasses after they were in bed, it was a wonderful feeling. Our little family has had a rough year with one thing and another, but to be in the place we are now is such a blessing and gives us real cause to be thankful.

We had a little party for him on Sunday afternoon - just family really - but of course I knocked myself out cooking for it anyway (!) and that was lots of fun. A real blessing was that Hubby's mother was able to come down for the party - in a DAY TRIP! The reason for the capitals is that she lives approx. 7 hours drive away and came down for the party arriving at 2pm, and went home that night leaving at 5pm. Not sure what the reason was for not staying (I don' think its me ........ ?!) but I know she doesn't like to be away from home much. Anyway, it was her amazingly generous and kind hearted brother who lives in the same town who drove her down and took her home, so we felt very lucky that they were able to join us. My wonderful parents and sister and her husband and son were also there (as they have been every step of the way) and it was a great celebration.

Then, on Monday, I got to spend the day alone with Flipper. This does not sound like a big deal, but it occurred to me half way through the day that it was the first time I had spent more than about half an hour one on one with him in about 6 months. Because the boys pretty much sleep, eat, play, and do everything at the same time, it is rare for me to be one on one with either of them - I do get more one on one time with Action Man though as Flipper still has a nap in the mornings as well as the nap they have at the same time after lunch. It was a lovely time -we played, read stories, went for a walk, had lunch at a coffee shop, went to the park - and I absolutely relished the opportunity to focus all of my attention on him. It was a real blessing and something I think I will actively seek to do more of with both of them.

I am a very lucky woman.

1 comment:

Prue said...

How did the birthday cake spectacular go?!