Wednesday, February 20, 2008

How many days a week?

I had a meeting yesterday with two of the leaders of my group at work - yes, there are several 'leaders' - our organisation has openly taken the view that there needs to be lots of leaders in the organisation - I think there is a unwritten policy somewhere that if 3 people are walking down a corridor together, someone needs to be elected their leader! I am not a great fan of male/female gender stereotyping, but this seems to me to be a particularly 'male' way of carrying on.

Anyway, I digress ...... the purpose of the meeting was to check how I am going, etc, which was good. Inevitably however, the question of how many days I am currently working (I currently work Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) and when I planned to increase them, came up.

My answer was that I was not intending to increase them at the moment, and could not see myself being willing to do that any time in the foreseaable future. The reason that I gave was that my 3 days inevitably became 4 or 5 each week, when I took into account the emails, phone calls, and work I did from home, and the meetings that seem to come up each week that I have to come in for on my 'days off'. I said that I did not want to increase my official days to 4 because then that would become 5 or 6, and then I would not see my children.

The immediate response was that that was fine and that there was no requirement to increase my days. I got the feeling that that response was not so much what they were feeling, but what they know they are expected to say. But - it was the reponse I wanted so I'll take it however it happens to come. But, it was followed by the comment that my position was really no different from a full time person, because in our jobs a 5 day a week job usually becomes a 6 or 7 day a week job.

I'm still thinking through whether I agree with that. But I'm also wondering, whether that makes it right????

1 comment:

Prue said...

Well maybe if they are admitting that you do more work than the days that you get paid for perhaps you should ask for more pay!