Tuesday, January 8, 2008

More on the 2008 plan

In my professional life we talk about 'SMART' goals. The 'M' in that little acronym is 'Measurable', so to last night's diatribe on health and fitness I will add the 'Measurable' part - my aim is to lose 10kg. It seems a little daunting but we will see how we go. On the progress front, I have arranged 2 free visits to local gyms which have opened recently - one tonight and one tomorrow night - so that's over half of the weekly structured exercise done in 2 days!

Onto other plans for the year - I promise they involve less rambling on!

1. More time/less activity - I love only working 3 days per week. It is a great mix. It gets me out of the house enough to feel like I have time to do my own thing and it gives me time with the boys alone, time to do 'housy' things, and time to get those 'adminny' sorts of things done during business hours that I never had time to do when I was working full time. But, if I look at that list of things that I do with my days off, and think about the way I have spent my days off in the ladt 6 months, I have realised that they are often busier than the work days because I try to cram so much activity into them. The most important (and fun) thing on the list is spending time being 'mummy'. So, my plan is to just let my days off just happen more, not to fill them with stuff, and take more time to just be with my boys. Am looking forward to it.

2. Do more fun stuff - In 2007 I was so uptight about sleep times, routines, feed times, bed times, getting the ironing done, the house clean, the shopping done etc etc that I feel that we didn't do enough 'fun stuff' as a family - like going to the beach, going to the pool etc - because I was always worried about how doing that fun stuff would impact my 'organisation'. Not a good, helpful, healthy approach to life. I'm going to stop that as of now!

3. Get the church thing right - we need to get the church thing right. By this I mean find a church that suits all of us, get involved in it, etc. Simple really, but something we have not been able to do for all of 2007. Instead we have limped along in our Christian lives, attending (sporadically) a church that we do not enjoy, praying with the boys, saying Grace with them, singing Christian songs with them and hoping that's enough. Its not. And it needs to be fixed.

4. More one-on-one time with Hubby. Perhaps with 2 children under 2 this always goes out the window. I don't know. But while Hubby and I have done ok with this over the last 2 years we can do better.

No comments: