Monday, November 5, 2007

A big step

Something big happened in our house over the weekend. It may not sound big to everyone, but it is huge to me.

We moved the Boys into the same bedroom together. And in the process, we moved back into our large, light, airy, bedroom which has an attached sunroom where I can sit at my desk and work, blog or look out the window, and built in wardrobes!

Our house is only 2 bedrooms, plus a study type of room which is quite small and in the centre of the house. The study has 3 doors, which come off the kitchen, dining room and lounge room and can be, and often is, the main thoroughfare between these rooms.

When we found out that we were expecting Flipper a lot earlier than we had intended to expand our family, I decided (in my wisdom, whcih may not have been so wise) that rather than have the baby in with Action Man and potentially ruin his fantastic sleep patterns, and rather than have the new baby in with me where I would get no sleep whatsoever because I would wake every time he moved, Hubby and I moved into the study, Action Man into our room and Flipper went into the 'nursery' on his own. We made our new bedroom nice, we blocked off one of the doors, painted and bought a new rug, but it was still a small room in the middle of the house, where I could really not have my own space or properly escape from everyone. I am a person who needs my space - a lot.

And, for reasons that I will probably blog more about at a later date (and am still very sensitive about) our family has had quite a rough time since Flipper's arrival - mainly due to me and how I coped with an unplanned baby, a very small toddler, a very difficult pregnancy and completely unexpected major feeding difficulties.

The recovery has been slow .... but steady. Going back to work has helped, the boys each getting older has helped, me getting my head right has helped, and the latest instalment, getting my bedroom back has really helped. It sounds so trivial and silly, but I feel so much more at peace and at home in my house, I can get my alone time, our lives feel more 'normal' and less transient and for something entirely trivial - my clothes are more easily accessible!

We turned the 'study' into a playroom for the Boys which is also great - they can spread their toys out and we can still have the lounge room in some semblance of order.

What is also lovely, and that I didn't expect would affect me the way it has, is seeing the Boys sharing a room, hearing them chatting away after we put them down to bed, and when they wake up - seeing them interacting with each other as brothers brings us more together as a family and I love it.

And all this has been achieved with very minimal disruption to nighttime sleeping through and the one daytime sleep that they have at the same time - just as an added bonus.

It feels trivial to feel so transformed by this, but I do - its another step towards getting 'me' back.

4 comments:

Prue said...

Being a mum is such a hard job, you need to learn to look after yourself properly in order to look after your kids well. I'm glad that this has made a difference to you.

By the way, I went to the same Uni as you, and we have mutual friends (Megan, Kris) but I don't remember ever meeting. So hi!

Kris said...

Yay! I know that need for personal space. I'm glad everything seems to be working out well for you. You've made me wonder whether it'd work to put our two together! :)

Megan said...

well, I will be trying this in a few months - i will let you know when I do. You sound like you have found the 2 really difficult - me too!!!! the first 6 months of having 2 were really hard. And you had to deal with 2 so close together - I am inspired by how you have made it through like you have.

Kaylene said...

Thanks for your comments. It has definitely been a really positive thing for us - both for me and for the boys I think. Not sure about being inspirational Megan - but thankyou! - my measure of success is that we are all still alive and kicking at the end of every day. That way I can tell myself that I have overdelivered on my goals if we are all also happy at the end of every day!