Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I haven't blogged for a while, having found myself (quite unusually for me) with not much to say. Or perhaps more accurately, a lot to say but not the words to say it in - again, quite unusually for me.

Lots has been happening - difficulties at work, lots of work, the election (which I was quite captivated by) and the reappearance - not recurrence I emphasise - of some effects of my difficult times post-Flipper's birth. Perhaps I will get to these more in the next few posts, but my thoughts for tonight are easy to express and I want to record them.

I came home from work today - having been caught in the most appalling traffic jam on York St in the city (which would not have been so bad if my petrol orange light had not been on since yesterday morning and by this time causing me some concern!) - and had both boys (plus Hubby) meet me at the door. Action Man shouted "Mummy" over and over again at the top of his voice and Flipper gave me the loveliest of grins, showing off his three new teeth that are on the way through - all at the same time!

It struck me that there are probably few other times or situations in life that we are greeted with such enthusiasm and unaffected glee as we are by our children. There are no distractions, inhibitions, they see no faults in us, and they show on their faces and with their words exactly what they are feeling. Its quite humbling and the most amazing feeling.

And I feel the exact same joy back at them - and they are at the age when I can show it exactly the same way. There are no "oh mum" comments as I gather them in for a kiss and a cuddle as I expect there will be during the adolescent grunting stages that I am assured they will go through at some point. Its lovely.

I then made the connection that this must be how my parents feel when they see me - even now that I am grown up with my own children. And I was struck again by the realisation that I had when Action Man was born and I experienced for the first time the strength of parent/child love and really appreciated for the first time what my parents feel for me, and what they have done for me.

It is these things that make life so special, and our relationships with our family such a special part of life.

No comments: