Thursday, November 29, 2007

Brotherly love

It's official - the fisticuffs have started.

While Flipper was originally an object of curiosity to Action Man and we could explain the occasional poking and prodding as him being inquisitive, I am now forced to admit that there are occasions that he hurts Flipper just because he can and because he wants to. It makes me angry in a way that I never thought I would be with him, even though I know that it is normal.

It mainly happens towards the end of the day, when everyone is tired and cranky and I am at a bit of a loss as to how to deal with it. I know that the two of them wrestling etc will just be a part of life - as one of two girls I don't know this from personal experience, but Hubby assures me that this is normal and ok - but the deliberate hurting is not ok and I don't know what to do about it or if there is anything I CAN do about it with an almost 2 year old.

Does anyone have any tips?

3 comments:

Megan said...

ah 2 boys........know what it is like! we use time out with sparky. he hates time out - it is saved for worst offences - among which we count deliberate hurting of his brother. We also have consequences for accidental hurting that happens repeatedly through carelessness after being warned - though sparky is older than action man

Cecily said...

Separate them! That's the only technique I know. I usually have James up on the kitchen bench with me while Campbell plays. It's useless to tell them not to - they still will!

Kaylene said...

Thanks for the advice - we have tried time out but it doesn't seem to have much impact - maybe will be better when he gets older. Re: separating them - will need to do more of that I think! Cec - have also ordered from Amazon the book you blogged about by Becky Baily - it sounded good.